1) Lots of great beer including several that folks brought from Asheville.
2) Crabs4CRABS was another success. Lots of people attended. Thanks to Les for providing mac+cheese and Don for procuring 3 bushels of crabs.
3) Tonight, Thursday 9/21, Brad Smith will be at Maryland Homebrew 7:00-8:30 PM talking about BeerSmith and how the new version will work with mead and cider. This is a free event. If you want to go, RSVP to Chris at firstname.lastname@example.org
4) The Guild crab feast is this Saturday 9/23. Ticket sales have closed.
5) Carroll County Beer Week will take place 9/25 to 9/30. List of events: http://carrollbeerweek.com/Events/
6) The Breadery in Catonsville with have a 3 Stars beer tasting on Friday 9/29 from 4 to 8 PM. See https://us.eventbu.com/catonsville/craft-beer-tasting-series/3627285 for more information.
7) Saturday 9/30 will be a yuuuuge beer day in Maryland. These 4 events will be going on that day:
- ·Maryland Microbrewery Festival. 11 AM - 6 PM at Union Mills. Website: http://marylandmicrobreweryfestival.com/
- ·Denizens Make it Funky Wild Beer Fest. 1-5 PM at Denizens Brewing in Silver Spring. Tickets: https://www.giftrocker.com/secure/Order/?h=6fdde65b
- ·Oktoberfest Live! 2-7 PM at Power Plant Live. Unlimited sampling of 175 beers. Tickets: https://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/1527967 (use promo code “Oktoberfest1” for a $5 discount).
- ·Hops and Harvest Festival. Two sessions: 12-4 OM and 5-9 PM, at the Columbia Lakefront. Tickets: http://hopsandharvestfest.com/tickets-1
8) There will be a festival and homebrew contest in Relay on Sunday 10/1. Couldn’t find a website for it but you can call Howard Wellman at 410-474-1226 for more information.
9) Frisco Tap House in Crofton is having a homebrew contest with $2000 in cash prizes. Entry deadline is 10/2 with judging taking place on 10/14. Entry fee is $10. See http://www.friscotaphouse.com/event/crashfest/ for more information.
10) The next First Thursday happy hour will be on 10/5 at Hysteria Brewing, starting at 6 PM.
11) There will be a craft brew festival at Canton Waterfront Park on Saturday 10/7. See http://www.growandfortify.com/baltimorecraftbeerfestival/ for details. There will be a homebrew contest as well. Register at https://www.nepenthehomebrew.com/products/bcbf-competitor-registration
12) Baltimore Beer Week is coming up. Go to http://baltimorebeerweek.com/ for details and events.
13) ChiliBrew XI will be held on Friday 10/13, 7-10 PM, at Zion Church in Baltimore. Buy tickets at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/chilibrew-11-tickets-35756439473#tickets
14) Das Best Oktoberfest will be on Saturday 10/14, 12-6 PM, at the Ravens stadium parking lot. See http://www.dasbestoktoberfest.com/baltimore/show-info for information and tickets. The homebrew contest has already been judged. There were 14 entries. Winners will be announced at the festival. Cash prizes will be awarded. Opening tap ceremony for Baltimore Beer Week will take place there.
15) You won’t want to miss the Homebrew Extravaganza on Wednesday 10/18 at Little Havana in Baltimore. Dozens of homebrewers will serve their beers. If you want to serve, email Judy Neff at email@example.com to sign up. Or you can show up and just drink; it’s only $10 for all-you-can-sample. The event runs 6-9 PM, with beer servers showing up at 5 to set up. Proceeds benefit Baltimore Animal Rescue and Care Shelter (BARCS). See http://baltimorebeerweek.com/event/8th-annual-homebrew-extravaganza/ for more information.
16) The Catonsville Historical Society will be having an oktoberfest and homebrew competition on Saturday 10/28. See http://baltimore.carpediem.cd/events/4484310-oktoberfest-home-brew-competition-at-catonsville-historical-society/ for more information.
17) Saturday 10/21 will be another big beer day:
- ·Pro-Am brew day with Hysteria and MDHB. Location: Hysteria Brewing. Watch Hysteria brew, learn their process, talk shop, and get 5 gallons of wort. Chris from MDHB will give out yeast and hops for dry-hopping. Bring your own bucket. Cost: $50.
- ·Manor Hill’s Harvest at the Hill Festival. 12-5 PM at Manor Hill Brewing. $25 for VIP (12-5 PM), $15 for regular admission (1-5 PM). Farm tours, live music, beer, and food. Adults only.
- ·Inaugural NoVA Homebrew Competition Classic. AHA/BJCP-sanctioned homebrew contest. Judging will take place in Arlington. Run by GRiST (Grains Result in Something Tasty), a homebrew club in Arlington. Register to enter or judge/steward: https://comp.gristhomebrew.com
18) Made in Baltimore: Tap Handles and Brews will take place on Sunday 10/22, 1-4 PM at Mark Supik & Co. Watch wooden tap handles being turned, painted, and labeled. Cross Street Irregulars will demonstrate homebrewing and provide samples. Beer and mead from Raven Beer and Charm City Meadworks will be served. Monument City Brewing next door will give tours and tastings.
19) The MALT Turkey Shoot homebrew contest will be judged on Saturday 11/4. Judge and steward registration is open at http://turkeyshoot.brewcompetition.com/ (click “Register” at the top, or if you’ve already registered, click “Log In” at top right). Registration for homebrew entries will open on Saturday 9/23 at the same website.
20) The Guild holiday party will be on Saturday 12/2 at Heavy Seas. We need to decide on a club table theme.
21) The Guild will have its 20th anniversary party on Saturday January 20, 12-4 PM, at Duclaw in Rosedale. Ticket price is being worked out. Duclaw will brew a collaboration beer with Guild members, and would like to meet with club reps who are designing the beer, probably some Saturday in October at the brewery, to decide on the style/recipe. If you want to represent CRABS, speak up. Also, if you have any photos from past club/Guild events, please sent them to firstname.lastname@example.org for a slide show at the party.
22) The Brewers Ball will take place on Saturday 3/3/2018 in DC. Several CRABSters poured homebrew at this year’s event and we hope to do it again.
23) This month’s competition was pale/bitter beers. There were 10 entries. Winners were:
- 5th – Craig and Rachel Szczesiul
- 4th – Tim Paulin
- 3rd – Trevor Rose
- 2nd – Rob Kiernan
- 1st – Marty Mengele
24) Next month’s meeting will be on the 4th Wednesday, 10/25, so as not to conflict with the Homebrew Extravaganza. The competition will be strong beers:
- 9 A-C: Strong European Beer
- 17 A-D: Strong British Ale
- 20 C only: Imperial Stout
- 22 A-D: Strong American Ale
- 26 D only: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
25) Go to http://crabsbrew.org for CRABS-related information.
26) See http://crabsbrew.org/Other_Competitions for a list of upcoming local homebrew competitions.