1) CRABS had a nice showing at the Homebrew Extravaganza at Little Havana on October 18. There were 36 entries, and CRABS took 3 of the top 11 spots: John Jester took 11th, Thomas Pagano and Reed Ulrich took 4th, and Jason Heinen and Ben Schwalb took 1st.
2) Some CRABSters participated in other Baltimore Beer Week events, including ChiliBrew; Walking With Beer History (see http://www.benbrew.com/BBW/2017/Pubcrawl/ for a synopsis); Pedal Power (see http://www.benbrew.com/BBW/2017/PedalPower/ ); and the Das Best Oktoberfest, where Ben Schwalb won both 1st and 2nd place in the homebrew contest out of 16 entries.
3) Guinness will open their new temporary tap room this Friday October 27. The address is 5001 Washington Blvd in Halethorpe (less than 2 miles from Heavy Seas). See the Baltimore Sun article at http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/music/midnight-sun-blog/bs-fe-guinness-test-taproom-20171023-story.html
4) Roseda Black Angus Farm will have Beef & Beer Night this Friday October 27 from 5 to 10 PM. Their address is 15317 Carroll Road in Monkton.
5) The Catonsville Historical Society will be having an oktoberfest and homebrew competition this Saturday October 28 from 2 to 6 PM at 1824 Frederick Road in Catonsville. At least 3 CRABSters will be pouring homebrew. See http://baltimore.carpediem.cd/events/4484310-oktoberfest-home-brew-competition-at-catonsville-historical-society/ or email CatonsvilleHistory@gmail.com for more information.
6) CRABSter Jay Thorpe, a majority investor in Heroic Aleworks in Woodbridge VA, will host a day of food, beer, and football at his house this Saturday October 28 from noon onward. He’ll have a keg of Heroic Aleworks beer and will be grilling some tasty meats. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org for his address.
7) The MALT Turkey Shoot homebrew contest will be judged on Saturday November 4. Judge and steward registration is open at http://turkeyshoot.brewcompetition.com/ (click “Register” at the top, or if you’ve already registered, click “Log In” at top right). Registration for homebrew entries ends this Saturday October 28 at noon.
8) WTMD’s third annual The Mighty Pint homebrew contest will take place on Saturday November 4 from noon to 4 PM in Towson. See http://events.wtmd.org/event/wtmds_3rd_annual_the_mighty_pint_homebrew_competition for more information. There are 2 links for buying tickets: https://www.mt.cm/mighty-pint-1 and https://www.nepenthehomebrew.com/products/wtmd-competitor-registration
9) The Guild holiday party will be on Saturday December 2 at Heavy Seas. The CRABS table theme will be “Summer in December”, with beach-themed décor. Tickets are on sale at this link: https://maryland-homebrewers-guild.ticketleap.com/holiday2017/dates/Dec-02-2017_at_0600PM
10) The Guild will have its 20th anniversary party on Saturday January 20, 12-4 PM, at Duclaw in Rosedale. Ticket price is being worked out. Your ticket includes unlimited sampling of 16 DuClaw brews, a crowler of the anniversary beer (see below), and a 20th anniversary sampling glass. Food truck(s) will be onsite for food (pay as you go). Ping pong, pool table, and corn hole will be available. Also, if you have any photos from past club/Guild events, please send them to email@example.com for a slide show at the party.
11) Duclaw will brew a collaboration honey kolsch with Guild members on Saturday December 9 starting at 9 AM, which will be served at the anniversary event the following month. All Guild members are welcome to attend the brewing session (please do NOT post on social media). Four firkins of the kolsch will be made and ideas will be taken for how to flavor them (oak, dry hop, etc). The brewery’s address is 8901 Yellow Brick Road, Rosedale MD.
12) This month’s competition was strong beers. There were 10 entries. Winners were:
5th (tie) – Andy Navosky
5th (tie) – Jay Thorpe
4th (tie) – Don Zwach
4th (tie) – Rob Farrell
3rd – Marty Mengele
2nd – Craig and Rachel Szczesiul
1st (tie) – Rob Kiernan
1st (tie) – Bob Mosier
13) Next meeting: Wednesday November15. Competition will be porters and stouts:
15 B-C: Irish Stout
16 A-D: Dark British Beer
20 A-B (no C): American Porter and Stout
14) Go to http://crabsbrew.org for CRABS-related information.
15) See http://crabsbrew.org/Other_Competitions for a list of upcoming local homebrew competitions.